Funimation is one of the services for streaming Asian content with many unique features that you have never seen anywhere.
Funimation is an awesome anime streaming service from the US that strongly focuses on dubbing and providing Japanese anime. Its most well-known titles consist of Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail, Black Clover, Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist, Assassination Classroom, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, One Piece, and a lot more. Being one of the big names in media streaming providers, Funimation is available across many platforms aside from Android, which are PlayStations 3 and PlayStations 4, Xbox One, iOS, Amazon Kindle and Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, multiple smart TVs platforms, and on the web.
Key features of Funimation
If the Anime repository on Crunchyroll has not satisfied you, Funimation may be a more worthy choice. Join us to explore its features right below.
Explore a huge collection of anime
With Funimation services, you can watch over 600 English dubbed anime shows, including a lot of big names such as Attack on Titan, Yuri on Ice, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and many more. Enjoy all your favorite anime shows in English, as long as the ability to watch offline and switch to whatever streaming device you prefer.
Easy to join and enjoy
It is rapid and straightforward to register an account on Funimation, and it can be done by either using a mobile app or a web browser. Once you successfully registered as a member, you can start using Funimation immediately by experiencing the free trial that the app offers. You can also become a member by using your Facebook account. It is necessary to provide your credit card info as you need to pay for a subscription after the 14-day-trial ends. However, you can also cheap out and try the free option by glancing at the bottom of the login screen and tap on the “Explore a limited selection with ads” button. Just fill in your login credential and feel free to look around.
Besides streaming your favorite anime shows with English dubs, Funimation also has a shop where you can buy variety items. There are figures, DVDs and Blu-rays, merchandise, and a wide variety of collectible items. Like most other stores, the Funimation shop also sales off once in a while, and while free users and Premium subscribers have the equal chances to access the sales, Premium Plus and Premium Plus Ultra users gain advantages by having early access to Funimation Shop sale and also exclusive member-only events, therefore they will have more chance on getting their hands on hot collectible items. Free delivery will be applied on orders with bills over 20 USD for Premium Plus users, and for Premium Plus Ultra members the delivery fee will be deducted forever. On top of that, Premium Plus Ultra subscribers also get 2 free DVD and Blu-ray rentals per year.
A lot of Must-watch shows
Funimation lets you choose from over 600 anime shows, all of them are either dubbed or subbed. Although it does not offer as many shows as some alternative streaming services like Crunchyrolls or VRV, all the shows are carefully selected consists of many well-known names, for example Sword Art Online, Demon Slayer, One Piece, Tsukigakirei, Danganronpa, Toradora!, etc. Below are some of the most recommended shows to begin with, aside from big names that you may already know:
- My Hero Academia: Young Midoriya – an ambitious dude journey to become a hero despite that he has no special powers, unlike many other fellows. The interesting story begins when he met All Might, the best of the best among heroes.
- Fairy Tails: an action-adventure show where Natsu, Lucy and their friends at the Fairy Tail guild go on missions in a fantasy world. The show features a lot of top-class soundtracks and the performance of the English dubbing characters are impeccable.
- Attack on Titans: a show with distinguished animation style and plot. Witness the deathmatch fight between human and enormous titans for survival. Some people argue that there are so many death and gore scenes within the show, but that is just a personal opinion.
- Danganronpa: a mystery-thriller anime about a group of children in an odd school. Each student has to kill a classmate stealthy in order to graduate. The pace of Danganronpa is reasonable and overall it is a quite enjoyable show with enough throwbacks and mysteries.
- Tsukigakirei: two high-school kids are struggling to learn about who they actually are. Kotaro and Akane meet each other and become close as they work mutually on a school’s sports festival. The shows are mainly about their romance, and there are twists and turns as their relationship grows.
- Assassination Classroom: a science-fiction comedy about an octopus teacher and his students’ efforts in trying to kill him. There is also a one hundred million bounty on his head awaiting anyone foolish enough to try, but deep inside he is a good teacher.
Certainly good things do not come free, and Funimation is meant to worth your spending. The platform offers three subscription plans for you to select, which are Premium, Premium Plus, and Premium Plus Ultra. The differences between each plan is specified very carefully on its interface to ensure you have enough information needed to make the decision. In short, the Premium plan offers adequate features so you can comfortably enjoy the whole library anytime you want, including all dubbed and subbed shows present on the platform while eliminating disturbing ads; the Premium Plus plan let you use all the features that are available in the Premium plan, plus the ability to stream on five devices consecutively, downloading shows to view offline, and special privileges while accessing the Funimation shop. You may even receive anniversary gifts if you choose to subscribe to the Premium Plus Ultra plans.
Funimation is the best streaming platform on the planet if you are into watching anime dubbed. Even if you might get some disgusting looks from those who are sub purists, there is nothing to be ashamed about your own interests. The joy of absorbing the actions and totally emerging yourself in the story instead of staring at the bottom of the screen reading every line is perfectly valid. Although Funimation’s library is not as large as many alternative services and the lack of original shows, the quality of the dubbed shows are exquisite and therefore it is worth every penny of your subscription fee.